Pop-Up Relatives

📷 Jamie Street
What’s up with relatives that show up after you have made it? 

Unexpected message notifications can be an awkward moment. The “I’m your first cousin, uncle or aunt” can be hard to deal with. It leaves one with mixed feelings, whether to be excited or expect the worst. 

You start thinking if they have ulterior motives or it is just a social call. The feeling of what I see my future with them is numb. Well! They only Pop-up when you have something going in your life when your career is ascending or business is booming. 

Is it by pure coincidence? The pop-up notification is a call to gratify their greedy appetite. It is really annoying as much is it emotionally draining. Only to be useful when people want a good turn or a hangout.

It happens more often than most expect. And there is usually a “blood of thicker than water” song to make their request more compelling. As a human if people treat me like I am worthless, it is a reflex to cut them off – I deserve better.

It makes you wonder if you have resurfaced on the face of the earth that day. They even have the audacity to put on a guilt trip that ‘you are family’ – in their own words. Questions flood your mind and remain unanswered.

Why now? Where were you when I was struggling? They fast track things to extort you at any chance they get. But with relatives shouldn’t it be different? 

Instead of making up for a lost time, all they see is Sterling $$$ signs. They can’t seem to understand that I don’t know them like them. I refuse to be their puppet. They can’t draw the line. Pop-up relatives only come around when it is to their convenience. 

What makes it any different when you say you, my cousin? My uncle? My aunt? I will never understand the code of loyalty that families are supposed to have each other. Is it wise when all they bring is stress and anxiety? I doubt I will ever understand people who say families are supposed to stick together, no matter what.

📷Artur Luczka






Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Framed Generation!

Adulting They Call It! A Day In The Life Of An Adult...

Maybe The Reason Why You’re Single Is Because You’re 'One Of The Guys’