25 ON 25!


Guess who turned 25 on the 25th😊 Being 25 from this part of the world is a pain. A mixed ball of misconceptions, when I think of 25, Winky D’s song plays at the back of my mind. If you haven't listened to it click here, it's a jam we can't take that away from it, in short it’s a woe of all  the expectations we’re burdened to have, of visible achievements put against our whole existence. It’s a supposed mark, a demarcation of what you should have done or have in your life. Honestly as my birthday knocked on my door that question stroked me uncomfortable, I’m sure I’m not the only one who shares the same sentiments. Instead of celebrating life, it became a scare of the clock ticking and feelings of running out of time. Maybe, just maybe the intensity varies from one person to the other. 

“What do you have to show for it?” 


The society has some very wrong-headed ideas about what constitutes success. My question is, we are so different, we’ve different backgrounds and ambitions, then why judge us with the same measure? Everyone is running their own race, ooookay! Popular thinking pits us against each other, a single person must be of less value than married, a person who hustles contributes less than a person who works at a prominent company (thanks to our country a job has been turned to a high value commodity due to the high shortage of them) But that’s tea for another day.

I’m so not for the idea, if it’s your success it shouldn’t hurt you. You worked so hard for it, it’s high time to eat the fruits! Once you define your identity and self-worth on the premise of career and educational achievements it’s game over, we’ve lost YOU. At any chance of failure, what you see as life’s value is gone, and self-worth flies out of the window. I have been here a couple of times, the word accomplishment meant visible gains that came with status and material rewards. I let visible things determine my worth from what I wore, qualifications earned, relationships, possessions, the list is endless you can comment yours at the end of this post. 

So how does it feel to be a quarter to fifty?


My friend asked me this question, and girl I feel so damn good! I had reflections of where I was, to where I am right now. Being here breathing and glowing, is a reason to be glad and rejoice. After too many silence inner battles, it’s these day in and day out victories that defines me and should for everyone. Success should be just be acknowledgements of our daily efforts.

They are worth more than material gains.


I moved from doubting myself to moving out of my comfort zone.
I have the courage to walk away from toxic relationship that don’t bring value (friendships, work & love).
I speak up more often like I should have been all this while.
I found myself good company which fulfilling and helps me with self discovery and awareness.
I’m growing in my spiritually and personal relationships.
I overcomed my body insecurities which haunted me most part of my childhood.
I pick peace of mind and my mental health over everything. 
I survived bad relationships and now know what to look for, what’s left is patience to wait for the right one.
Still getting around the whole idea of commitment and be in terms that my father won’t be there to walk me down the aisle.
I love my job, I love writing and I love progressive environments.

I still fight anxiety and PSTD but I still sow, each day’s effort equals 25 years of being a badass writer whose dream is to motive, inspire and redefine everything that society has engraved in our heads and hearts.  I’m proud of my big accomplishments, but proudest of the small ones they help me stay positive and genuinely confident.

P.S: It’s these unseen, unsexy, sometimes unrelatable to some people and in my opinion the real work that needs to be celebrated more! Here's to more and I'm still presents😊



Comments

  1. Happy Birthday! And I 100% agree that everyone goes through life at their own pace, and it's so important not to compare ourselves to what anyone else is doing. Wishing you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday! We Do tend to value ourselves depending on our accomplishments. I know for a fact I have pushed myself and I’m finally slowing down with the need to accomplish certain things and adding the intensity of deadlines. Stay strong! Be you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you love. It's important to stay true to yourself 🌻

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Be Straight Up With Me Or Walk!

Framed Generation!

#Signs It Is Time For You To Be Courageous & Take What You Want